Tuesday 21 February 2012

Life of a banana

I like bananas.

They're good.

Sweet and mushy.

Potassium-filled goodness.

But doesn't mean i like being one.








Alright not literally of course.

A banana (when referring to someone) in the Malaysian dictionary can be defined as a person who is of Chinese heritage but cannot speak, read, write or understand Mandarin.

Yeah.

OK fine i'm not a full banana.

You see i went to a Chinese primary school.









BUT

I come from an English-speaking background.


AND

90% of my friends back home are worse bananas than i am.

Which means they're Mandarin illiterate.

So after primary school, my fluency in Mandarin deteriorated.

A LOT.

Right now i'm just thankful that my pathetic banana-leveled Mandarin can at least help me order a decent meal.

But there are times where i have to resort to pointing at pictures of food, smiling and nodding (especially when they start using Cantonese).

I do agree that being raised in an English-speaking family really helped in my English proficiency.

However, there are a few reasons why being a banana (or partial banana) sucks.




1. Communication, communication, communication.

I have many Chinese-speaking friends as well.

Who, of course, speak to me in English.

I do understand Mandarin.

But when they all get caught up in a discussion in Mandarin, i just sit there, listen, nod and occasionally laugh.

I can feel pretty left out at times.





Them







Me





Ok i was exaggerating it a little.

Because being the sweet and understanding friends that they are, they switch to English after that.


Well, most of the time.




2. Being misjudged by others.

I know some people would think that we don't speak Mandarin because we REFUSE TO.

They think that we're stuck up arrogant snobs who deny our heritage and culture.

And want to speak English to prove that we can.

EARTH TO ASSHOLES LIKE THESE IF I COULD SPEAK MANDARIN PROPERLY I WOULD.

Be thankful that i can use chopsticks.










Yes i'm serious i can use them very well.

My skills enable me to pick up fishballs so i'm pretty happy about that.


Being different from others can be hard.


But i just have to remind myself to embrace it all:)




No comments:

Post a Comment