Sunday 12 February 2012

Land of the Headhunters

* This post is not aimed specifically at anyone in particular so don't fret. I'm just speaking on behalf of the 598617 people in my hometown, Kuching.




Yes i am from Sarawak.


No we're not headhunters (NO SHIT).


Yes we have roads.






It baffles me. 


Really does. On how ignorant people can be sometimes. 


Those were just some of the MANY questions i was forced to answer when i started studying in Kuala Lumpur in 2011 for my pre-u studies.


Oh there's one more.


My favourite actually.


This is a conversation between le me and le dimwit.


Dimwit: So where do you come from?


Me: Sarawak. Kuching actually.


Dimwit: *stares at me* 








             *awkward silence*


Dimwit: But you look like a city girl.


Me: *what i wanted to say*


OF COURSE I DO YOU BASTARD KUCHING IS A CITY.


        *what i really said*


Really? That's cool *polite laughter*


Dimwit: So..do you guys live in trees?


Me: *how i looked like in my mind*












YEAH we live on trees and swing from vine to vine.


Dimwit: Really??


Me: NO.


Dimwit: So you have electricity and cement houses?


Me:









This means war.


It is a grueling and painstaking process to have to explain myself every single time i meet another dimwit.


I understand that not everyone knows much about where i come from as it is further away from West Malaysia.


Map of Malaysia by yours truly


I admit that i am the worst Malaysian citizen ever for not knowing that Kuala Lumpur is a federal territory.


But to not know that we, Kuching-ites are clothed, civilised citizens who don't practise cannibalism is far fetched. 


And to speak to us in a condescending manner just because you have bigger shopping malls and better roads than us?


PUH-LEASE REMEMBER THAT YOU RELY ON OUR STATE FOR OIL FUEL AND NATURAL RESOURCES IN WHICH WE DO NOT GET A FAIR SHARE IN.


Kuching is an amazing place to grow up.  Here's a few reasons why:


1. Awesome food.






Kolo Mee





Laksa Sarawak






Crispy Tomato Mee






Kueh Chap


2. Awesome places to visit.




Iconic cat.
















3. Awesome people.



My hometown peeps
(Last day of school 2010)



Kuching looks awesome right.



I would like to apologise if i've offended anyone in any way.

Not everyone i encounter here in KL are carbon copies of that dimwit.

I've met some pretty awesome bad asses here as well:)

To all Malaysians out there, brush up on your geography.

Yes i'm referring to myself as well.

Don't be too quick to judge a person by their roots.

Just be thankful that we really aren't headhunting cannibals:)

6 comments:

  1. wtf is wrong with my face in that picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a bawwssss!!!! =DD

    P.S. nice way of promoting Kuching's awesome people with a pic of Teresians... I see what you did there. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks rick!! yes we Teresians make up a big part of kuching:P

      Delete